Car Restoration Services
We don’t have to dip to strip! Our unique car and vehicle restoration service enables us to strip paint and rust from car shells, components and surfaces WITHOUT the use of chemicals. (Excluding aluminium, stainless steel and cast iron, these would need to be stripped using chemicals, another process we offer. We also offer classic car restoration services.
Simplified, our three-part process consists of:
Stage 1: THERMAL PYROLYSIS – the application of heat in a controlled environment to allow pyrolysis without flames, turning unwanted coatings, filler and underseal to ash without damaging the metal surface.
Stage 2: CHEMICAL DE-RUST – This includes a two-stage chemical de-rust and neutraliser, finished with a phosphate surface rinse to protect the shell from the elements and flash rusting until primed or repairs are complete.
Stage 3: ELECTROSTATIC KORROPRIME – The powder is electrically charged to act as a magnet, so is drawn to the metal surface, therefore it can reach into places that wet spray can’t. 1000 hour salt spray tested, for that extra piece of mind.
We are happy to provide one, two or all three of these stages to meet your requirements. Some of our clients prefer us to complete stages 1 and 2, then take their shell to complete their repairs before returning it back to us for priming, however this all depends on the project and we are happy to discuss this with you.
Step by step guide to the car restoration stripping process:
1. On arrival, your parts / shell will be inspected and photographed for our records.
2. The first stage is thermal paint removal, where the parts are manually loaded into our oven where they are baked gently for the required length of time (which varies depending on a range of factors). During this stage, the aim is to overbake any paint and applied coatings such as underseal and filler, until said coatings have turned to a dust or ashy material.
3. Once removed from the oven the parts are rinsed with a high pressure water wash to remove any remaining contamination.
4. The de-rust stage follows, and the parts are loaded into our unique cleaning and de-rusting solution which gently removes any corrosion from the metal, without attacking and affecting any sound steel surfaces.
5. On removal from the de-rust tanks, the parts are rinsed with a hot phosphate solution which removes any final contamination from the parts and provides a temporary inhibited surface, stopping the formation of any flash rust until the parts are dried.
6. The parts are then immersed in our neutralising tank, a process which ensures that any remaining corrosion products and chemicals are removed from the metal surface.
7. The parts are then force dried in an oven for around 30 minutes to ensure no fluid is trapped behind panels and in difficult areas such as chassis legs etc.
8. A specialist electrostatic korroprime primer is then applied which is baked on at 190 degrees, giving an extremely tough and durable coating which will protect the shell and parts without any further coating required until you are ready to paint.
Please see our FAQ’s or contact us if you require any more information on the vehicle and car restoration services we offer, including classic car restoration services. We welcome visits to the workshop to explore our service further, please contact us if this is of interest. We look forward to helping restore your project.